Starz Entertainment has green-lit a new original adventure series titled “Da Vinci’s Demons,” developed and produced by BBC Worldwide Productions. This is the first project to enter production under the multi-year agreement Starz signed with BBC Worldwide Productions earlier this summer. The series was jointly announced today by Starz Media Managing Director, Carmi Zlotnik and BBC Worldwide Productions Head, Jane Tranter.
Written by David S. Goyer, co-writer of blockbuster and critically-acclaimed films Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and writer of the highly anticipated Man of Steel, the eight-episode series is scheduled to begin production in early-2012.
“Da Vinci’s Demons” is David Goyer’s historical fantasy, following the “untold” story of the world’s greatest genius during his raucous youth in Renaissance Florence. Brash and brilliant, the twenty five-year old da Vinci is an artist, inventor, swordsman, lover, dreamer and idealist. As a free thinker, with intellect and talents that are almost superhuman, he struggles to live within the confines of his own reality and time. He begins to not only see the future, but invent it.
Goyer writes, “Da Vinci was the original Renaissance man — a near-mythic figure that has world-wide appeal. After working with characters like Batman and Superman, it made a strange kind of sense for me to dive into the facts and legends swirling around his origins. This will be a show about secret histories, genius, madness, and all things profane. And I’m particularly excited that I get to do it on premium cable, where the story can be as dark and challenging and irreverent as it deserves to be. Starz and BBC Worldwide Productions have been nothing but supportive.”
“Da Vinci’s Demons” expected to air the worldwide broadcast premiere in 2013.
Star Trek and Da Vinci
Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek has always given mention to Leonardo Da Vinci:
- The above video is the year 2269 (TOS: Requiem for Methuselah) where Kirk meets an immortal character named flint claimed that Leonardo was one of his identities.
- Starbase 4 possessed a Class F shuttlecraft named the da Vinci. (TOS: “Let That Be Your Last Battlefield” remastered)
- Blue Horizon’s Da Vinci Falls are named after him. (DS9: “Second Sight”)
- A holographic simulation of Leonardo was among the historical personality profiles studied by The Doctor, in 2373, during his attempt to expand his personality subroutines. By 2377, The Doctor was declaring himself an expert on da Vinci amongst other Alpha Quadrant artists. (VOY: “Darkling”, “Flesh and Blood”)
- Kathryn Janeway of the USS Voyager enjoyed visiting Leonardo on the holodeck. He became an adviser to her, along with providing a haven during times of stress. Leonardo and Janeway unsuccessfully attempted to fly in a glider they constructed which sent them crashing into a river. This led to Leonardo having a crisis of purpose and leaving many of his works unfinished.
- Once when Voyager was attacked by pirates who used a high-energy transporter beam to steal items of technological value, Leonardo’s program was also stolen. He was used by the leader of the pirates, Tau, to develop new weapons which Tau sold to the highest bidder. Janeway and Tuvok tracked him and the rest of the stolen goods to a province controlled by Tau. He believed that he was in America and told Janeway that his patron was prince of this land. Leonardo was enjoying his new adventure because of the new inventions he was creating, but agreed to return to “Europe” when reminded by Janeway that his presence there is important and that she needs his help. Tau captured Janeway and drew a weapon on her. Leonardo came to her defense and knocked out Tau, then he and Janeway escaped successfully flying his glider through the air escaping untilVoyager got in range and beamed them and the glider into Cargo Bay 1 before jumping to warp. (VOY: “Scorpion”, “The Raven”, “Scientific Method”, “Concerning Flight”, “The Omega Directive”.
- In her later years as captain of the USS Voyager, Janeway kept a copy of Leonardo’s famous self-portrait in red chalk in her ready room. (VOY: “Virtuoso”, “The Haunting of Deck Twelve”, “Unimatrix Zero”, “Endgame”)
- According to Captain Janeway James T. Kirk claimed to have met da Vinci. (VOY: “Concerning Flight”) This simultaneously implies a reference to Flint and that James Kirk disregarded Flint’s request never to tell the Federation about his existence. (TOS: “Requiem for Methuselah”)
- In Pocket Books’ series of Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers novels, the hero starship USS da Vinci was named for Leonardo.
Da Vinci’s Demons & Science Fiction
It would be wonderful to have at least one episode with a Star Trek reference; better yet, have a Star Trek reference in every episode.
- It would automatically bring in the sci-fi loyal viewers
- Florentine court records of 1476 show that Leonardo and three other young men were charged with sodomy, and acquitted. Gay viewers
- Idea: Since Da Vinci was a gay man and nothing would please me more than a “Captain Jack Harkness” meets Leonardo da Vinci.
- Leonardo spent much of his time living in the Belvedere in the Vatican in Rome, where Raphael and Michelangelo were both active at the time (1513 to 1516). Artist viewers
- Note: In 2367, Doctor Noonian Soong described his need to create Data as being no different to Michelangelo’s need to creature sculptures from blocks of marble. (TNG: “Brothers”)
- Note: The USS Raphael was a Federation construction vessel starship in Starfleet service in the 24th century. This ship was in active service around the 2370s decade.